Techniques of Link Building :
Its no secret that backlinks (links pointing to your domain) are very important factor on how google ranks your website in their search results. Most other search engines also value the links to your site also. If a web page attracts links from other pages Google's algorithm, the software it uses to rank pages and decide which page is number one for a search result, increases the importance of a page.
Some of the Link Building techniques are as follows :
- Write or post something people would want to link to (actually called link baiting).
- Create a resource, something that people would find valuable and will easily point their friends to
- Example: directorycritic is one of the best places to find free and paid directories; people know that and recommended it boldly, sometimes they even link to it.
- Exchange links with like minded blogs or sites, relevant exchanges are usually better but for luck of relevant sites any exchange is good enough, you can look in forums for people that are willing to exchange links; usually there is a dedicated section for that.
- Submit your site to free directories, can use the excellent allsumitter directory submitter to help you with that. If you need lists of free directories to insert in your favorite submitter, you can find great lists at directorycritic.com, onewaytextlinks.com (many more lists exist on the internet, it could take me a whole post just to list them here).
- You can write articles and get them posted on article directories (process similar to directory submissions) and usually you can include a few links on the buttom of each article pointing to your relevant sites. Can find article directories in directorycritic website.
- Post on squidoo.com, create any number of lenses advertising one or all your websites, its very fast and its free try it.
- Post/vote a few of your great articles/posts/pages to the social bookmarking networks, if they are worth something other people will also vote for them and in the process you will get some extra links, can also ask your friends to check them out and vote for them (Digg, delicious, Stumbleupon, Sphinn, Propeller are some of the networks to post).
- Include your link in your forum signature, look in the list of directories that allow signature links (+other links) where you can start hanging out and enjoy signature link love.
- If you blog or site has some sort of RSS feed functionality, submit it to RSS feed directories, you should also make available for aggregators that would like to include your content with linkback to the original posts. Here is a list you can start with.
- Participate in blog discussions: most blogs lately allow you to include a link to your blog when you post a comment, some also will add your link sitewide if you are one of the top posters (like in this very blog), find a blog that you like and post a few comments on the articles that you find interesting ... be careful if your comments are irrelevant or disrespectful or full of links they might be considered spammy and will get erased.
- Anatomy of a Link : The most common analogy of a link is to liken it to a vote. If page A links to page B then page A is suggesting page B is a good page, page A likes page B. The only slight complication is the nofollow tag. In a nutshell the nofollow tag allows links to be added to a page that create a click-able link to another page without the link passing a vote. These are used for text link adverts for example where they will send traffic to another page without passing a vote.
- How To Secure the Right Kind of Links : There are some people who will argue any link is worth having, they may be right. However, given that we now understand links don't all carry the same weight it should be clear that securing links that carry a lot of weight will have a much bigger impact on your web pages than links carrying little or no weight. So how can you secure links that carry weight? Simple, create something worth linking to! The problem is this isn't simple, it's hard. It requires thought, planning, research, creativity and hard work and because of this most people revert to link spam.
- Buying Links : There are many ways of buying links. Again you can employ a link building company but you can also buy links directly from website owners. If you buy a link and the link is not nofollowed you are in direct contravention of Google's guidelines. In short if Google discover your purchased links your site may be removed from their directory. In general they will simply remove any value from the links you have bought rather than directly penalise you, however the effect can be the same.
- How to Identify A Good Link Target : The term link target simply means a web page you would like a link from. Setting aside link spammers, who see all links as equal, identifying a good link target is very simple. A good link target is a web page whose readers might be interested in the content of a page on your site. That's it. Expanding on this you could argue a good link target is a web page with authority whose readers might be interested in the content of a page on your site, however this simply introduces a whole raft of complications that will see you mired in confusion.
- Do Link Building Systems Ever Work? : Yes. There's no doubt some people do discover methods for creating effective links fast and cheaply. There's also no doubt these methods are usually discovered by the search engines and they quickly cease to be effective. By the time you get access to these get rich quick schemes it's a safe bet the person who discovered it has made their money and are now squeezing a few more dollars out of it by selling the technique to you. As with most things in life there's no such thing as a free lunch and these schemes are best avoided.
We all know how important link building is in the world of SEO. It’s a big rave to get a link – especially if it’s one way and it’s from a reputable site. Again, these are just link building techniques that you can use to set you apart from some of your competitors. They are not meant to work like magic. All these techniques require some hard work to some extent, of course. There is no shortcut to link building and these techniques are not meant to be something to take you up high quick. If you ask me, the best link building technique will always be to build great, quality content and accumulate solid readers who would be engaged with what you have to say. So much so that they would be compelled to link back whenever they write something relevant with what you had to say.
Techniques of Link Building.
Preeti Bagad [BE(CS)]
SW Engineer Cum Blogger
On Line Assistence :
Gtalk : PreetiB.A1Soft@gmail.com
Y! Messenger : PreetiB.A1Soft@yahoo.com
Rediff Bol : PreetiB.A1Soft@rediffmail.com